Led by Bono and Bobby Shriver, (PRODUCT) RED is working with major retailers to offer limited edition products, either in red or with the (PRODUCT) RED branding, with part of the proceeds going towards The Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa. So far, Apple has received the early attention with the release of the iPod nano (PRODUCT) RED Special Edition for $199. Like the other 4GB nanos the PRODUCT (RED) iPod holds up to 1,000 songs, has 24 hours of battery life, and can be engraved. $10 from the sale price will go towards The Global Fund.
Gap has also joined the project by selling 24 (PRODUCT) RED specific t-shirts, hoodies, tank tops, belts, jeans, and totes. The products are manufactured in Lesotho where Gap has invested in factories and clinics to help support an African country where nearly 1/3 of the population (600,000) is HIV-positive.
The current (PRODUCT) RED partners are:
- Apple – Red 4GB iPod nano
- Gap – RED clothing and accessories
- Motorola – Red MOTORAZR (US) and MOTOSLVR (UK) mobile phones
- Converse – Customized (PRODUCT) RED versions of its famous Chuck Taylor All Star sneaker
- Armani Emporium – (PRODUCT) RED clothing and accessories
- American Express – Custom red credit card with 1% of spend going to The Global Fund